Monday, September 27, 2010

Thank you Aunt Jojo.

At any given moment in my life there are a dozen reasons that I could (and should!) be sincerely thanking my sister. The list of favors, kindnesses, advice and other things that she does for me is endless.

However, today the above thank you is laced in sarcasm!!

I am so tired of my daughter asking for "a spoon full of peanut butter. like aunt jojo does." at EVERY MEAL! We use to have good sandwiches, salads, quesadillas or other tasty things for lunch and we would eat the SAME THING at lunch. Now, ever since Sam had a spoon full of peanut butter at Aunt Jojo's house it is all she wants (even asks for it at breakfast!). No I am not kidding, it is literally a spoon full of peanut butter with crackers on the side for dipping. But most of the time she skips the dipping of the crackers and just licks the peanut butter right off the spoon.

Of course I don't always give her the thing that I know she will eat quickly, the thing that she will eat without fight or reminders. Nope, sometimes I am a "good" mom and make her eat real protein or veggies or fruit. But then I have to deal with the fight and tears that she doesn't get to eat "like Aunt jojo".

So now my lunch routine has to include "cooking" three meals. Baby food for Avery. A spoon full of peanut butter and some sides to go with it for Sam. And then figure out something for my lunch (I just can't bring myself to eat a spoon full of peanut butter even though my daughter has asked me to try it several times).

So THANK YOU Aunt Jojo. Your spoon full of peanut butter is like crack for my child!

Editted later to add - It has occurred to me that you all might be thinking that this is a regular meal that Sam gets when she is visiting Aunt Jojo! ha. Couldn't be further from the truth. As far as I know Sam has received this lunch ONE TIME when she refused to eat the PB&J sandwiches that her cousins were eating. To end the fussing Aunt Jojo handed Sam the spoon. Sam was thrilled, there was no more whining and everyone was eating. At the time we thought it was perfect. My thought has changed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too cute - she'll never grow out of the 'spoon full of peanut butter' phase either. I'm 28 and still do it! ~Tracy

Sarah said...

Ditto Tracy. I'm 30 and I still do it. It's yummy!

dizzy said...

It is a favorite with my grandchildren. Hey, when they refuse everything else, it looks better and better.