Thursday, April 14, 2011

which would you choose? vote please!

One side of Sam's swing-set looks like this right now.
She hasn't shown any interest in it until just a few days ago. Now she wants to climb desperately! But the "stones" are too high and too far apart. Plus once you get to the top (which is WAY too high a three year old) you have to climb over the very rough wall and drop onto the platform. Not appropriate for our little ones at all!

So, I want to take down the climbing pieces. But I know that if I just take those away she will notice and get mad. I think if I replace it with something else then she won't care.

Now the hard part...I have TWO ideas for what to do I cannot decide which one is better and age appropriate! I am hoping this is where you all will help. If you were three years old and one year old would you want -


I don't think we can do both, at least not all on that side, but I just can't decide which one the girls would get more use out of and like more.
I think making the water wall would be easier. The particle board that is on the swing-set wall now would not be good for painting with chalk board paint so I would have to first attach some better board.

PLEASE leave me a comment and vote for one of the ideas! Would love some other mom and educator input.

Thanks!

6 comments:

Holly said...

Ooh! That's tough. Both great ideas! But if I had to choose, I would do the water wall! My girls STILL love to play with water in any way, shape, or form when it's warm out. And I think that would be really good for both of your girls even starting this summer. Avery would probably be too little for the chalk wall this year anyway. And if you have to resurface the wall for the chalk board, could you do the water wall for a few years, then switch it out for the chalk board when they are both old enough to write and draw on it?

Also, you could always use sidewalk chalk on your driveway and sidewalk out front. So in a sense, you could do both this year, if you did the water wall.

Just my two cents! :-)

Alison Shaffer said...

I would go for the water wall, Hot summer days it would be fun. Your blog is really cute too

Amy A @ Child Central Station said...

I bet you could do both.... What if you painted it with chalkboard paint, and drilled holes using wing nuts for the water wall pieces... That way you could move the pieces around to change up the pieces AND you could remove them completely to chalk...... It would be fun to watch how the water changes the chalked drawings too....

denise said...

I would do water wall, with thrifted pans/spoons/clanging things too. They can pour and play or drum!

Sheila said...

The water wall! I could actually see my son pouring sand through it on days that weren't warm enough for water play.

elizabeth said...

The water wall would definitely be more exciting here. Edden has a very limited attention span for drawing, and would be happy with sidewalk chalk on a horizontal service.