Tuesday, September 14, 2010

reading buddy

In a few minutes Sam will be having her first "reading buddy" get together. You are probably wondering what in the heck that means!

Last week while I was out of town a neighbor approached Chris and asked him about the potential for her second grade son to spend some time with our daughter Sam once a week reading to her. Apparently when her boys were younger they had an older kid in the neighborhood that would come and read to them. She wants her youngest son to have that same kind of out loud reading practice and mentoring time with a younger child. My husband was very intrigued but said he would have to talk to me about it. He told me the idea and about the family.

Sure I said! Someone else that is willing to take over one of probably a dozen times that Sam wants to sit and have me read to her throughout the day. Why not! So yesterday Cade came over and read one book to Sam on our front step with both his mom and me standing right there. This was their way to meet each other and introduce the idea to both of them. Cade was adorable and trying to teach Sam how to use the little clock on the book!! She didn't get it but sat still long enough for him to get through the book.

Today he is coming over by himself with several books for them to sit on the couch and read together. I am hoping that Sam will sit still for him the way she does for me. I am hoping that she doesn't lose interest and get up to go play. I am just hoping that this works because the mom is SO excited about it.

I will let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

such a good idea, hope it worked! mom

Traci Grabski said...

That sounds like such a great idea, I hope Sam was able to sit with him and read for a while!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea Abbie! I wish I had thought of that when I was raising my boys! I think it would be a great idea for me as grandma, to start a Grandma's Little Reading Group!!

Nice to find you here too!~Lisa