Thursday, December 8, 2011

christmas is coming



While we were on our vacation in Cabo Christmas got started with the beginning of advent! I actually took our advent calendar in our suitcase so that we wouldn't be behind when we got home. We are doing an activity advent calendar this year that has us doing something different each day to get us in the Christmas spirit.


Day 1 - we read the story "In the Stable Where Jesus Was Born" (yes, I packed that in my suitcase too!)


Day 2 - Sam wrote her letter to Santa.


Day 3 - the girls recieved their felt christmas trees! I am super proud of this project and wanted to share this one with you in more detail!



Here are the finished bags. One for each girls with the initial on it!






Inside each bag is a big green felt Christmas tree and then a whole bunch of different colored ornaments to use to decorate the tree.






The girls are loving these felt Christmas trees. I gave them to them on the third day of advent so that they could practice decorating a Christmas tree before we got home and put up our real Christmas tree.



The only supplies I needed to make these were felt, a big red button, scissors and cookie cutters. I used the cookie cutters to trace the shapes for the ornaments. I drew the trees free hand (which is why there isn't an up close picture of that because they are not exactly perfect! ha). Then I made the simple felt bags for each girl to put the tree and ornaments in. I hand sewed the bags, cut a slit for the button and then used yarn to make the initial.



The whole project took me a couple of hours to make both of them and it was very inexpensive! Love this project!!



Happy Advent!

No comments: