Monday, March 4, 2013

i got a job

I am getting my foot in the door. I am doing something for me! Starting tomorrow I am a working mom, at least for three months. After a lot of randomly sending my resume out to people that seemed to have connections to environmental education in the Peoria area I actually peaked someone's interest! There was a part time biology lab technician position open at Bradley and they thought I might be interested in it. Now, it has been since my freshman year of undergrad that I have graced a biology lab but the professors in charge of the position said that what they really needed was someone for just three months (that is the time left on the grant funding for the position) with grant writing, publication writing, networking and administrative experience. And I have all of that! Plus, the two professors that are in charge of this position play pretty major roles at Bradley, one of them is the co-director of the STEM (Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics) Education Center at Bradley, which does a TON of great teacher education programs and outreach programs with the area public schools. I am honored to be able to work with both of them and show them what I can do. So, is this my dream job? Nope. BUT showing them what I am capable of may help me land an awesome job somewhere down the line at Bradley. This job is just from now until May 31st. That gives me three months to show them I am awesome and that they just have to hire me back for a teaching or program development position in the very near future!!

On the flip side...me going back to work means my girls are going into full time care two days a week. And then my amazing new neighbor will keep the girls for me on Fridays. That is three days a week that they are in the care of someone else. It is crazy that I have been praying, begging and striving to get a job for two months and now that I have one (and start tomorrow!) the mommy guilt is almost overwhelming. Why am I doing this to myself? Why for once can't I just be confident about my decision, know that my girls will be fine (better than fine probably) and this will be good for all of us? AHHH! Well, too late to turn back now.

Our life changes big time tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are woman watch you roar, and the girls are just like you, strong and independent - so proud of you!
Love, Mom

Kierna C said...

Oh I missed all this news Abbie, hope all is going well for you in the new job & the girls are enjoying day care & a day with your neighbour. I miss you as a co host on the outdoor play party. Best of luck for the future xx