Thursday, September 9, 2010

PRESCHOOL!

"Sam can we take a first day of school photo?"

"Nooo."


Wednesday was the first day of preschool. Sam was beyond excited. The only people she knows that go to school or that she has seen go to school are her cousins, Bailey and Parker, and the few times she has gone to drop them off or pick them up from school she was always wanted to stay.
When she found out that she was going to school all she kept saying was "Just like Bailey does!" or "Just like Parker does!".
She learned her teacher's name, Mrs. Becky, and learned several rules about school. "Listen to Mrs. Becky when it is time to clean up." and "Tell Mrs. Becky when I need to go potty." I figured if she could follow those two things everything else would be okay!
And the drop off on that first day went great. She could have cared less that I was leaving her there by herself. She was just so excited to be around her new friends. I was a bit sad that there wasn't even a moment of separation anxiety. Of course a mom wants to be missed.
When I came back to pick her up there also wasn't that happy reunion that I had expectations of experiencing. I thought she would be talking non-stop about what she did and how the morning went. Instead when I asked her what she did that day two of the first things she said was "Justin pushed over Madison" and "Justin threw rocks. We do not throw rocks." Clearly Justin had made an impression. And I hope poor Madison is okay because Sam was very concerned. But that was it. She had nothing else to tell me. It wasn't until late that night while eating dinner at my parents house in St. Louis that she started singing a new song (or what she could vaguely remember of a new song) over and over again that I finally caught one glimpse of something she had done at school. I was proud of her but at the same time felt so left out that I didn't have a clue what song she was trying to sing and helpless that I could not help her with the words when she stumbled. (is this what it will feel like when she is doing math problems that I don't understand and have no way to help her?)
While she is still finding her words and learning how to recall things I think school is going to be very tough on me. I am going to hate that I will never have a clear picture of what goes on there. That I won't ever really know what she is learning or doing. Maybe this is why parents get so involved and want to volunteer in the classroom. I think we need the break from each other too much for me to do that. Plus the one-on-one time with Avery is greatly needed!
Anyway, I think the day was a success. The teacher didn't say that she was unruly and wouldn't clean up. And she came home wearing the same clothes that I dropped her off in. So at the very least my two rules worked!

"Sam we can't go to school until you smile and take a picture for mommy."

"CHEESE!"

2 comments:

Gina said...

I could have written this post! I'm always trying to find out what Logan did during the day and from what he tells me, he apparently spends all day playing with racecars or on the computer playing some Bug Game. But then he sings some adorable little song and I get a glimpse. And in 10 years, when I ask what he did at school and he says, "nothin'" at least I won't be surprised. :)

Katie said...

This post makes me sad...but at least Sam looks adorable :)