Thursday, January 7, 2010

Her Story. Part One.

So the story of Avery's birth started at about 2:00pm on Tuesday when my water broke. I wasn't having any contractions so Chris and I kind of took our time getting Sam taken care of, cleaning up the apartment (okay it was just me that wanted to clean! I did not want family/friends to see a messy apartment while we were in the hospital and other people were taking care of Sam and Polly.) and getting our stuff together. About 3:00pm we were in the car and headed to the hospital. I still wasn't really having contractions so it seemed weird to be going to the hospital but with the amount of fluid that I had lost we knew that I wouldn't be going back home without Avery.
Side Note: The whole "water breaking" thing, at least for me, seems to be more "water continuously flowing out" rather than that giant burst they tend to show on TV and in the movies. I just felt like I kept peeing on myself. It was really very disgusting!

We got to the hospital, found the labor and delivery area and got me ready to be checked out. The nurse was having trouble finding our information in the computer. I had called my doctor's office, who then called the hospital to let them know that we were coming plus we had sent in all the pre-registration paperwork, so it was REALLY weird that they had no record of us. Finally Chris says to the nurse "This is Saint Mary's Hospital, right?". The nurse looks at us, smiles and says "Nope. This is Meriter Hospital. Saint Mary's is just down the street". HA!! We were at the wrong hospital! Who knew that Madison had two hospitals right down the street from each other? I had to get redressed, gather up our stuff and head back to the car. This is the sign we saw when we got back to the car and could not stop laughing at how embarrassing/ridiculous the whole thing was. Kind of a hilarious way to start the journey.
Feeding time calls so I will be back later to continue the story...

2 comments:

amber said...

Oh too funny! :)
And having had my water break with both kids...I agree the whole thing is wierd and disgusting. With Bryce the nurse said "I have never seen this much fluid come out of one person!" Um...thanks? :) Can't wait to hear the rest of the story...you all look so happy and Sam looks like she loves her baby sister! And you look absolutely incredible!! :)

Anonymous said...

congratulations! I'm so glad Avery is finally here and she looks beautiful! This is a great story can't wait to read the rest.
Love Aunt Ouisie