Saturday, June 20, 2009

humane society stikes back

So I have been working my little butt off this week children's workshop tent at the Midwest Renewable Energy Association Annual Energy Fair. This is an AMAZING event in Custer, WI that before this year I knew nothing about. Now I am pissed that I have lived here for five years and have never been. There is something for everyone and so much more! They are expecting 30,000+ people from all over the country over the three days of the fair. There is just no better place to go to learn everything there is to know about "being green", get some great art/pottery/books/toys/ and amazing organic food. Beer too (no, I did not par-take, but I was wishing that I could!)
While working this fair I have seen some pretty crazy things; great parenting, horrible parenting, two years dropping the pants and peeing literally where ever they feel like, and tons of gray haired pony tailed men. But today I heard about the craziest thing at a large public event.
Dogs are not allowed at the Energy Fair. They advertise this well in advance and spread the word very well so that everyone coming knows; and yet people still bring their dogs. Since they can't bring them on to the fair grounds they leave them in the car. It was 85 degrees today when I was coming home at 6:30pm so at noon today it was very hot. Not sure if it is actually illegal or if the human society just has the authority to remove animals in danger but they were patrolling the parking lots looking for dogs left in vehicles. If they found one we would hear an announcement over the PA system saying the type of animal, the vehicle they were in and that the owners had 10 minutes to get to the front gate or the humane society would use force to remove the animals. This meant that they were breaking windows of the car to get the animal out and then the people would have to pay a fine to get the animal back from the humane society. Several people today missed the deadline and we were none too pleased with the result. Way to go humane society! I say it serves those people right; they shouldn't be allowed to own animals in the first place if they are going to lock them in a car that probably got up in the 100s.
All the drama of people hearing the announcements and then later hearing about the mad people that had their cars destroyed made the day interesting and go faster.
I am excited that tomorrow is the last day of the fair. I am so tired, achy and at the end of my patience rope with parents that don't control their children. It has been a great experience but I am ready to be done.

1 comment:

Katie said...

this is awesome. i love that people are willing to break windows to save these animals. what kind of a moron leaves their dog in the car when its 80+ outside? I bet thats a huge problem though because you know that the same dirty hippies who frequent green living fairs also own at least three animals and probably the dog everywhere.