Monday, June 28, 2010

my new project

I am still missing work so badly! I "taught" a pond birthday party on Sunday and the kids/families were great. They really got into (literally! several of the kids actually went swimming in the pond!) the activities, loved looking at the critters that we caught and even listened when I was talking to them about some of the natural history of the insects. This is only the second event I have been able to work this month and the first one ended up being canceled. I want to be working more than this.

I have had this feeling for a while, talked to lots of people about it but it wasn't until I had some serious conversations with my sister that I got some answers and made some decisions. She came up with the idea for me to start a new blog! A blog all about my passion, about environmental education and about my girls. Much brainstorming, researching, planning, designing and writing later she helped me to develop "Greening Sam and Avery". I am making a commitment to do one "green" activity with the girls everyday and then blogging about it. I will document through words and pictures the successes and failures of what we do. I have been doing a ton of research into early environmental education but have realized that there is just not much out there for parents, especially for parents with kids as young as mine.

So I am developing my own resource. I am taking activities, games, crafts, etc. that I find, adapting them to be simpler and age appropriate and then trying them with Sam and Avery. Hopefully I will be able to do all the leg work for other parents and be able to provide a resource for great ways to teach your kids to love nature, to get outside and to not be afraid of all the amazing creatures that are out there.

I am officially starting this project on Thursday but I wanted to give all of my faithful readers a sneak peak at all the stuff I have up on the blog already. It's not much yet but please head over there and take a look. Check out the amazing banner that my sister designed, look at the pages I have created so far and if you happen to find a spelling or grammar error (I am only human!) please let me know. Leave a comment (or two!) over there to let me know what you think!

Okay, GO check it out! Greening Sam and Avery!

1 comment:

Holly said...

This is simply fantastic! I cannot wait to see what you come up with. And I will try to promote the hell out of your new blog on my book blog, and FB (that is if you want me to)! :-) Good Luck!

Can't wait to catch up on Saturday!