Saturday, September 5, 2009

I need to SHARE my passion

So today I am feeling very jealous.
My husband spent yesterday and today golfing with old friends from college. His group of golfing buddies get together a couple times a year in different locations to do nothing but golf as much as they can. He loves these weekends because it is his chance to play the sport that he loves with other guys that are just as passionate about it, and just as good at it, as he is. He comes back home after these weekends in a great mood, rejuvenated and loving life.
My sister is spending her labor day weekend with a fellow photographer/friend in downtown Chicago. They are working, exploring the city and taking LOTS of pictures. She is thrilled to have a break from her crazy life filled with kids and very happy to be doing what she loves for three straight days.
I am not jealous of a weekend playing golf or a weekend in Chicago taking pictures. Today what I am jealous of is having someone that you can TRULY share your passion with. I don't just mean having someone to come home to and talk about what you love; I have that. I mean someone that is really as passionate about whatever it is as you are.
My passion is being outside; from spending just a few minutes in my yard to going on hiking, camping, kayaking trips. I just love the chance to hear birds, see trees and leaves and the possibility of seeing wildlife. I also love to learn about nature; the names of things, how things function, what is native and what is not, all of that kind of stuff just thrills me.
All throughout my life I have always had someone else that shared this passion with me. Growing up it was my mom and dad. We spent a TON of time outside and my dad was the first person that I ever went kayaking with and we went as often as we could (or mom would let us! HA!). In high school and especially college, I took a lot of classes where I learned about nature, got to discuss environmental issues and do a ton of debating. Anyway, the point of all of this rambling is I have discovered that right now I don't have anyone to share my passion with which makes me not enjoy the passion as much as I use to. Chris tells me all the time to go put my boat in the water and it certainly can't get much easier than having the water right in your backyard. But going out in my boat by myself is just not that appealing; I want to SHARE it with someone else. I spend most of my day by myself (even at work I am in a basement office by myself) and so I want to be with people every chance that I get.
I think it is really a truly special thing when you can find someone that you can share your passion with. And not just a spouse that will listen to you talk about things but someone that gets just as excited to see a fox or learn about a new plant as you do.
I am certainly lucky that I know what my passion is and know that I need my connection with the outdoors in order to feel whole. But, today I realized just how important it is to also have someone to share that passion with.

Anybody have a kayak and want to go for a paddle?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll send dad right up! he would love to go for a paddle and look at birds, etc.

Anonymous said...

I would be there in an instant, you just need to be alittle bit closer! ~Tracy