Tuesday, January 13, 2009

grandma requested pictures

I will share those first and then I will tell you about our ALMOST trip to the emergency room.

But first some new pictures of our growing girl...


Isn't she adorable?

Okay, now the ridiculous story from tonight. Let me just preface this by saying that I openly admit that I am a "first time mom" with all the stereotypical insanity that comes with that title.

While Sam was taking her bath tonight (see the pictures above!) she slipped and bumped her forehead on the side of the tub. She didn't hit her head that hard and when she started crying I picked her up, told her she was fine and wrapped the towel around her. As I was walking to her room to get her dressed I saw the spot where she had hit her head and it was a purple bump the size of a marble. I starting freaking out (crying too!), yelled to Chris to call 911. After I filled him in on how our daughter's head was going to explode he said that it would be faster if we just went to the emergency room. By this point the marble had grown to have a golf ball size growth on the side of her head. I freaked out even more and ran with Sam still naked to the car. Somehow I grabbed a diaper, pjs and my shoes that I threw in the car. Chris met us in the car and sped out of the driveway. Sam was naked with me on the backseat, no she was not strapped in. The whole time she was smiling and laughing and I was crying hysterically. Chris convinced me that we should call someone so I called Aunt Jojo (she is my expert on all things baby). She talked me down a bit, said it was just a "goose egg" and that she would be okay. We needed more assurance so we called Nana (she has not only been a mom but is also a nurse). She said the same things that my sister said. So we turned the car around and went home. By this point I had gotten Sam dressed and put her in her carseat, she was still happy and acting fine.
So we didn't go to the emergency room, Sam never even acted like she had hurt herself and I completely lost my mind. What is worse is that I know exactly why I freaked out so bad. Well, Sam has never really hurt herself so that is part of it but mostly it is because of the stupid TV show ER. If you watch the show then you should remember the episode when Dr. Pratt dies. He had a bump on his neck that grew and grew and grew until it exploded and he died. From the time the bump started to grow he died about 10 minutes later. In my mind when I saw that bump on Sam's head I immediately saw that show and thought that I had 10 minutes before Sam was going to explode. Like I said, I completely lost my mind. But in the moment I was losing my baby girl and thought of nothing else. This happened almost three hours ago and I am still shaking a little. What is wrong with me? My mom called tonight and told me that in situations like this I need to try and stay calm.
I DO NOT THINK THAT WILL EVER BE POSSIBLE! Chris is going to have to learn to do that for me.

Good grief.

No comments: