Wednesday, March 10, 2010

my child has made me an angry, spiteful person

It is blankie washing day. This is always a traumatic day but with Chris out of town right now (yes, he has been at a work conference for 24 hours and will get home tonight) and laundry absolutely needing to be done Sam and Avery had to come with me down to the laundry room. This made washing the blankets even more traumatic. In the 2+ hours that we have been waiting for them to get done the crying, whining and general pouting has barely taken a moments break. Every question, statement or request comes out as a whine or between giant sobs. At one point I was so tired of the whining that when she asked to color in a VERY whiny voice I actually looked at my daughter and said "If you don't stop whining I will never give you your blankets back!"

Of course I wasn't serious, it was an empty threat which I know I shouldn't do but in that moment it was exactly what I was thinking and feeling. I am quite possibly the meanest person in the world!

Edited to add - after all that drama I didn't fight with her when we went back to get the laundry and I let her carry the blankets back to the apartment. They were dropped on the garage floor THREE TIMES! So much for clean blankets!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Just think how grateful you will be for your own washer/dryer when you get into your new house! I still remember the exhilaration I felt the first time I used our washer/dryer in this house. I didn't need quarters, I didn't need to haul the clothes down four floors to the basement (though we did have an elevator). I can so sympathize with your situation today. I did quarter laundry for ten years of my life before we moved into this house.

Though, I'm sure even having your own washer/dryer won't help with the whining/blanket situation. ;-)

Jen said...

I actually laughed out loud reading this. My sister flipped out over her son whining for his pacifier one time on a car trip, and she whipped it out of the diaper bag and threw it out the car window. I'm laughing again just thinking about it.

It's funny how they drive you to such extremes, isn't it? The whining makes me mean. Helena is such a freaking whiny-pants right now and on her whiny days I really struggle to be nice to her. And not shout, "JUST SHUT UP!!!"

I'm glad you all survived the blankie washing.