Monday, March 1, 2010

breastfeeding the second time

Don't worry I am not going to graphic or go into details about breastfeeding. I am also not going to try and convince anyone else to breast feed their child because I certainly understand why someone may not want to. But for me, right now, it is working. I had a pretty easy time with the whole process with Sam, quite frankly I just hated it. She was very sensitive to what I ate which meant that I couldn't eat some of the foods that I LOVE like mexican and chinese. It also meant I couldn't have a glass of wine whenever I wanted without having that mom-guilt feeling of "what might this be doing to her?".
Although those same problems still exist with Avery, (she is also pretty sensitive to what I eat) I am finding the sacrifices to be a bit easier this time around. I love the break. Every time Avery needs to eat (except when it happens in the middle of the night!) I get to sit and do nothing but take care of her. I just get to cuddle with my baby and sit! Getting cuddle time with Sam was never an issue but with Avery the time I just get to sit and be with her is sparse. I cherish feeding time. Sam has to fend for herself during that 20 minute period. Chris has to take care of chores during that time. Like yesterday, I said to Chris "So, do you want to feed Avery or go change the laundry and fold it?" You can imagine his response! But what choice did he have really? I probably shouldn't be admitting this and it isn't like I plan for choirs to need to be done or meals to be cooked at the same time that Avery needs to eat (boy wouldn't that be smart! HA!) but when it happens I secretly even more enjoy the fact that I HAVE to sit and feed Avery. It may seem really silly or really mean but everything is so different with the second one. I just have to take advantage of any opportunity that I get to just focus on one kid.

I don't know how long I will breast feed with Avery. I made it four months with Sam. I hope I can go a bit longer than that this time but you must understand I REALLY love Mexican food!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Maybe she'll be less sensitive to Mexican food as she gets older!

It is good that you're finding ways to cherish time with Avery -- it is hard when you have a toddler around! And it is really good for Chris to do some chores he doesn't always have to. Sometimes it's healthy to shake up the division of household labor a little so we can learn each other's tasks... also, when we had the twins Jason went from pretty good dad to really awesome dad. With just one child, who usually prefers Mama, the dad can be sort of left out. But add in another one, and the dad suddenly has a role again. I hope that doesn't come across as being patronizing or treating men like they're stupid, because I don't mean it that way.

Anyway, I'm glad it's working for you!

The Aardens said...

I am so glad that you have chosen to breast feed, because a little is better than nothing. But a lot is better than a little-is your reason for discontinuing breast feeding really Mexican food?

It seems like all the benefits (i.e. higher IQ's, less allergies, stronger immune system, deeper bonding, healthy tummies, etc) are so important for the little ones that you giving up Mexican food for a short time is a-not small-but MINISCULE price to pay. Don't ya think?