Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"mama all better?"

Is it bad to let your kids see you cry? Hormones right now are kicking my butt. I don't know if it is all the time alone right now in the apartment to think, plan, worry, and dream but I seem to be upset or sad about something almost everyday (and night!). Doesn't help much that I have a serious head cold which Sam has caught; a very woe-is-me mood is floating around this apartment today.
Anyway, today while reading something that was making me cry Sam came up and asked "mama all better?". I quickly wiped the tears away and said "yes Sam, mama is all better". Obviously she has no idea what I am crying about or even how sweet her words were at that moment but in some little way she helped. But, again I ask, does it hurt her to see me upset and not understand why? Is it okay for her to see me cry?

1 comment:

mGk said...

Not only is it OK, but it is a good thing! Kids have to learn how to deal with their own emotions and it is important for them to know that EVERYONE deals with the same emotions as they do! Although I am not an expert, I'd say you handled the situation perfectly!

Since bringing home our second baby I have been dealing with the emotional ride of my adjusting hormones and Madeline has seen me cry many times. It can be heart breaking to hear your daughter say, "no mommy, don't cry, I'll make you better." But I have simply explained to her that I am a little sad, or overwhelmed, or happy and that her hugs really do make me feel better. She feels good about helping me feel better and I love those kiddo hugs!

~Maureen

(I always forget if I've posted a comment on here before... I found your blog through your sister's a while ago and have enjoyed following Sam's growth! Congrats on your second little girl and I can't wait to "meet" her too!)