Tuesday, October 18, 2011

the lessons I have learned

I have been robbed twice in the last three weeks. Being robbed ever can open your eyes and teach you something, but being robbed TWICE in THREE WEEKS really affects you.

For those that may not know my car was broken into on September 24th while I was in Milwaukee at a board meeting. My window was smashed, car door and roof dented and purse stolen.
Then just last week I walked down the street and left the garage door open. I was being lazy, I guess, by not grabbing a key or garage door opener to take with me but I was only going to be gone for two hours and Chris was home. No big deal. WRONG! Someone came into our garage, went through our cars (including my trunk) and stole all my cash. Luckily this time they didn't do damage to the cars or take anything else from our garage. OR come into our house!!!

So, after these two events I have learned some serious lessons and made some serious changes to my behavior. Here they are....



  1. My purse goes with me everywhere now. Even with the car locked it is NOT okay to leave your purse in the car.

  2. If you have to leave anything of value in your car, HIDE IT.

  3. Don't carry cash, it is only going to be stolen anyway.

  4. Things of personal value that cannot be replaced should not be carried in your wallet for you to look at everyday.

  5. Your garage is public domain. Do not leave your purse in your car, even in the garage.

  6. Lock your car in your garage.

  7. The door that leads into your garage from the house should always be locked. Since the garage is open to the public you just never know what kind of rif-raf might walk in.

  8. People SUCK!

I have lost some of my innocence, some of my sense that people are genuinly good. And the second set of cops that I spoke to said that as more jobs are lost in this state, as more people are in financial crisis the crimes of opportunity like this will only increase. We have to be even more prootective of what we have.


I hate that this is the world my daughters now know. It breaks my heart that Sam has told many people "the mean people broke my mom's car and stole her pink purse". A three year old should not ever have to know things like that happen.


The "mean people" suck!

2 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

so sorry to hear that.

I grew up in a police family so those rules had pretty much been in grained in my head from the time I could talk and understand what they are.

abbie said...

@PeaveLoveandRainbows I can imagine you grew up with much more awareness of what could happen. It was just not something that my parents really informed me about or prepared me for I guess. My girls will know how to protect themselves and the things that they own.