Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday's Ramblings

Last night was a bad night! Avery still had a fever, was sweating a lot and so I couldn't ever get her comfortable and sleeping for a long time. But that is not the worst part. Like clockwork once I got her settled then SAM would wake up. She is going through a phase right now where she "loses" her cup of water and will scream for me to come and find it. Most of the time I come in and the water is laying right next to her. Sometimes she isn't even really awake but I have to sit there and comfort her to get her to stop crying and go back to sleep. Obnoxious! So last night she did that several times in between Avery waking up. I was up on and off all night. I finally woke Chris up (actually twice!) and told him he had to deal with the next one but when the girls started crying again he didn't even move and since I was still awake I just gave in and got up. Must be nice to be such a deep sleeper!

While Sam, Avery and I were playing outside this morning Sam found a caterpillar in her little gardening wagon. She has recently "learned" about caterpillars and is now fascinated by them. She was excited about the one that she found and I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was dead, floating in about an inch of water!!

Sam played in the sprinkler this morning too and at one point she came running over to me and said "Mommy look!" . She then pointed down at her bottom and proceeded to PEE! I asked her if she was going potty, she said yes and I said that's okay it's alright to got potty outside. "Great." was her response! So is that technically public urination? Is it really okay for her to pee in the yard or should I have scolded her and taken her inside?

I have started having Sam not wear diapers whenever we are at home. She actually doesn't like it. She will beg to put a diaper back on, but I make her just wear shorts or a skirt. Most of the time she successfully makes it the potty or goes when I ask her to try. But this morning she had her first real accident on the floor and got very upset. I didn't yell at her because I would rather have her tell me about the accidents then try and hide them because she thinks she is going to get in trouble. But I did make her help me clean it up. Any tricks to getting a potty training kid to NOT want to wear a diaper? Has that ever happened to anyone else before?

Okay, that is enough for this nap time post! I use the term "nap time" very loosely! Avery is sleeping but Sam is just up in her room talking. I put one of those digital photo frames in her room and so right now she is sitting in there watching it excitedly yelling out the names of the people in the pictures!! HA! Maybe the frame in her room was not such a good idea!

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Pat Lawhorn said...

Abbie,
I wouldn't go crazy over the public urination. But at an opportune time I would explain to her about when it is okay and when it isn't. As far as potty training her, accidents will happen. I don't think you should scold them (but after training Charlie, I know how hard this is) but having them help clean up the mess is totally okay. Just use LOTS of praise. Actually I made a chart for Charlie and once he got so many "Thomas the Train" stickers he got one of the train pieces. It was amazing what he would do for those train pieces. We had to have him trained by last September so he could go to preschool. He is basically trained during the day, but for naps and nighttime he still wears a pull-up. And for a while, after his nap, he'd just stay in his bed and pee and poop in his pull-up. Lucky this phase seems to have passed! Good luck, just stay positive, and don't make Sam feel bad about it.

Anonymous said...

Take her shopping and let her pick out whatever big girl underwear she wants..princesses or pretty colours so she is excited to wear them! Apparently it worked for me because I still hear the story occasionally and I'm almost 30. I bet you can imagine how fun that is.