Monday, August 24, 2009

sometimes being domestic can be ...nice

Yesterday was one of those days where I was very domestic but for whatever reason instead of hating it I rather enjoyed it. I know I am not cut out to be a stay at home mom, I just don't have the patience and I am too selfish to give up doing what I love. I normally cannot find satisfaction from cleaning rooms, finishing laundry or cooking a nice dinner but, again, yesterday was somehow different.
I vacuumed. Not a big deal but actually noticing a difference on the carpets made me feel good that I had done it (and kind of gross that the dog hair had gotten that bad already!).
I FINISHED laundry. Most weeks this takes me several days but since Chris needed to pack I knew I had to stay on top of it and it actually got finished in ONE DAY!
I baked. There is just nothing better than the smell of a fresh baked pie and the anticipation for the after dinner delight. I hadn't made a peach pie in quite a while but we had so many good peaches right now that I just had to and it was delicious. Now, since Chris is gone I have almost a whole pie to eat myself...pie for breakfast anyone?
I cooked a good dinner. Besides the pie, I also made spinach and artichoke dip from scratch, breaded and baked chicken from scratch and then roasted garlic mashed potatoes (these were out of the box but come on people I can only make so many things from scratch in one day!).
We played with puzzles. Sam is really starting to become interested in her puzzles and whenever she gets the chance will sit at her little table with me next to her working on matching the pieces to the spot where they go. She finds the right spot and then I help her turn the piece and make it fit in the hole. I was so proud of her knowing where the pieces went and sometimes getting them almost lined up right herself. Proud parent moment.
As a family we also went to the dog park which was great exercise for all of us and tons of fun to see Sam with all the dogs. And we walked to the grocery store for a few things that we had forgotten.
So, I don't really know what it was that made the day so great but last night when I was laying in bed I felt like a good mom, a good wife and just felt good about the day. Sad that Chris was leaving this morning again, but really happy that we had a fun Sunday together.

1 comment:

Katie said...

sounds like an awesome day to me!