Tuesday, January 1, 2013

a little winter hiking

Happy New Year!!

Cold temps and snow do not stop us from getting out on the trail to explore. I saw a weather report that had temps in the 30s and knew that we had to get outside!

 And we had a great time. Throwing sticks off of bridges and listening for the sound they made when they hit the bottom. Finding a stream with beautiful ice frozen in some places and water flowing in other places.


 And we found a very fun "bouncy" log. The girls pushed it down and watched as it bounced back up for quite a while. Then they tried to see if they could push it all the way to the ground. Avery didn't get the memo from Sam that it was time to let go and move back. And poor Avery caught the "bouncy" log in the nose! Tears faded more quickly then the red nose did!


I love hiking with my girls at this age. Is their whining and very slow walking at times? Yes. But they are also so excited about the smallest things. It is also really fun to see their personalities come out on the trail.

Here is my leader...blazing the trail and seeing just how far away from mom and Avery she can get.
 And then there is Avery. My slow mover, my stops to look at everything and picks up everything girl. There is not anything on the trail that she isn't interested in exploring!
 And she still loves to hold my hand while we hike...which I love and am enjoying for as long as it lasts.

Now that we have moved further south I am excited to have more days during the winter months that we can still get out for long hikes and outdoor exploring.


No comments: