Thursday, March 26, 2009

playing catch up

Today we are playing catch up. Sam is catching up on sleep today which I gotta say is WONDERFUL! Great for her and great for me. She slept okay last night; still dealing with a stuffy nose which makes it difficult for her to lay on her back. But then today she took a three hour nap this morning and has been sleeping this afternoon for over an hour.
While she has been doing all this sleeping I have been catching up on laundry. So much fun! I don't know how many loads I have done but it has been intense. Although I have not minded it so much because it hasn't been all clothes. With towels and sheets thrown in I actually don't mind the laundry as much cause I can mix up the loads to make the folding more interesting.
Okay, I'm a huge dork! HA!

On another note...
Yesterday I was out at the Central WI Environmental Station teaching 9th graders about the laws of nature (too complicated to explain here) and it was a blast! I love teaching outside. I love seeing that "I get it" look on the faces of kids that are struggling and I love even more when a kid sees a bird, deer, turkey or something else in nature that they don't expect and they get excited about it. Being outside with kids, teaching or even better designing the programs that other people would be teaching or in my dreams running the facility where all this would happen is what I want to do with my professional life.
One of the teachers that I was working with that came with the students asked if I had ever considered being a classroom teacher full time. I told him that I didn't have my teaching certificate and just don't think I am good enough to be in the classroom. I have the utmost respect for classroom teachers; it takes a certain kind of patience, talent and knowledge to be a GOOD classroom teacher. I am not sure that I have those qualities. This specific teacher disagreed, he really thought I should be in a classroom somewhere. It does intrigue me a bit. I have not been able to find a full time position in environmental education and so it has crossed my mind to go back to school to see if I could be a classroom teacher. But what if I don't like it? Or I go back to school and then at some point I find the full time position that I want, do I then quit school? I want a full time job but should I do something that is not be exact passion just to be working? Would that truly be fair to the students that I would have? So much to think about, so many questions that I don't know how to answer. And this doesn't even include the questions about how I do this AND continue to grow my family!!

No comments: