Wednesday, April 13, 2011

tears

It is never fun to go to the ER. But what is worse is going to the ER with your child because you failed. Failed to be there. Failed to watch over them. Failed to protect them. Failed to catch them when they fell. Instead Avery fell. Almost four feet. Hitting a metal platform on the way down. A busted lip and torn frenulum. By the time we drove the 20 minutes to get the ER the intense bleeding had stopped and she was sound asleep in the backseat. But we went in anyway. What do I know about falls or bleeding from the mouth? And maybe falling asleep right away after a fall isn't a good thing. What do I know? So we went. And she is fine. Having trouble eating, very crabby and tired, but otherwise fine. I can't stop shaking and have felt close to tears ALL DAY! Why was I being so selfish? Why I was sitting, eating my lunch and chatting with friends when I should have been by her side? SHE IS ONE! Not three like all the other kids. I should have been there. I failed. And then, today of all days. My husband calls me and tells me to read this. Did you go and read it? Well.....GO! How can someone have that much confidence in me? That much faith in me? And the tears begin to flow. Tears of sadness for Avery's pain, tears of anger over my failure and tears that I can't explain but have to do with how overwhelmingly loved I feel by my sister. I failed today but KNOW that I will do better tomorrow. Knowing that an amazing mother is proud of me makes it that much easier to deal with my regret and feelings of failure.

3 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

aww sending you and avery big hugs. I know anything with the mouth esp. torn frenulum bleed tons.

I would have taken mine in with a fall like that for sure. I even went through paramedic school, falls need to be checked out.

don't beat yourself up you can't be there every single second. We all wish we could but sometimes you can be right there and accidents still happen.

hugs!

Holly said...

Oh man Abbie! That's hard. I totally know what you're feeling, but try not to be too hard on yourself. It was one moment in one day. And Avery will be fine.

I clicked over and read Jodie's post. So sweet! You are awesome! And you're a great mom AND writer!

I'm sure that was so scary! Hope you all can get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is a new day!

amber said...

Oh girl! You made me cry. I get it...we all get it. It sucks. I'm glad she is OK and I pray that you forgive yourself you are an amazing mom, unfortunately we can't keep our kids in a bubble. Isn't it funny how these things always affect us more than the kids? Much love to you super mom and super writer! :)