Saturday, September 5, 2009

Prepare her that it's coming

THANK YOU JODIE!
I have been struggling lately with tantrums; not mine, Sam throwing tantrums when I needed her to do anything. There were getting dressed tantrums, eating meals tantrums, putting her shoes on tantrums, leaving the park tantrums...pretty much for everything. So I asked my sister what to do. Do I punish the tantrums, ignore them, what? She said that she prefers to prevent the situations that cause tantrums. What a brilliant concept! And she told me about giving her warnings, preparing her for the "transitions" in our day and that something was going to happen. The last two days I have been doing this ALL THE TIME. I give her warnings before each meal, changing her diaper, getting dressed, changing rooms that we are playing in, and anything else that I think might make her mad. IT IS WORKING! Yesterday we were almost tantrum free. But the big surprise was that we actually left the park without tears!! She was even saying goodbye to other kids as we were walking out. It was the most amazing thing!
I am so excited that simply changing the way I treat these "transitional" events and changes in her day can totally change her reaction. Amazing.
SO, THANK YOU AUNT JOJO!!

No comments: